Tuesday, April 04, 2006

GRUB, openVPN, and SETI@home

I got Linux booting on Carissa's laptop today after four months of it being missing from the GRUB boot menu. I found "Grub From the Ground Up" to be extremely useful. As the author notes, GRUB is relatively poorly documented. I'm not sure how the linux entries got removed from menu.lst, possibly during the installation of a kernel image .deb? But, it seems like if it was something I did, I would have noticed at the time. I wonder if there is some way entries can be removed by certain commands at the boot menu. I would think it's unlikely that GRUB would be able to or would risk modifying the menu.lst file. I might do some more reading to see if I can figure it out.

I have also been playing around some with openVPN. Last time I went home I had meant to email myself some files I would need. I forgot to do so and since our network is behind a firewall, I couldn't get to the files I wanted. Gah. So, I guess I'll try and do something about that. We already have a machine, running 24/7, setup as a file server that could do double duty as a openVPN server. I also started that machine running SETI@home, so it would have something to do in its spare time. It is only an old Pentium II, but I guess every bit helps.

No comments: